GAME DESCRIPTION: Earn respect and climb the ranks with Team Play in Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® 07. The top-selling golf video game franchise is packed with new content, including 21 new courses and 50 golfers. In all-new Team Tour mode, assemble a team, improve team status, establish rivalries, and compete for the coveted EA™ Cup as you chase down Tiger Woods and company.
Key console Features
* All-New Team Tour Mode-Team Tiger is on the prowl and it’s up to you to take it down. After crafting your skills, assembling your team, and challenging the top squads in a variety of game modes, set your sights on a showdown against Tiger Woods and his team of championship golfers.
* The Most PGA TOUR® Players-Featuring 21 of the world’s top players, including Tiger Woods, John Daly, Vijay Singh, and Annika Sorenstam, the most decorated golfer on the LPGA TOUR®.
* 21 Championship and Fantasy Courses-New PGA TOUR licensed courses include The Four Seasons Resort Aviara, The Ocean Course at Kiawah Island, Riviera Country Club, The National, and The K Club, home of The Ryder Cup 2006.
* Game Face Facelift-The innovative character creation tool is revamped with deeper modifications, more apparel, equipment licenses, and specialty items.
* Become the World’s Best: On the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system or Xbox Live®, challenge up to three players in online* tournaments complete with full stat tracking, league leaders, and more.
* All-New ESPN Integration-Get the latest sports updates and breaking news from the always-on ESPN ticker, ESPN Radio updates, and ESPNEWS.
* Refined Swing Types-The dual analog swing system has been refined to make the quest for the perfect shot just a little tougher. Choose from a Classic swing style featuring the Shape Stick, or the Standard style, which allows you to swing and putt with the left analog stick.
* Golf’s Best Commentators- The announcing dream team of David Feherty and Gary McCord provide commentary and irreverent observations during every round.
* More Mini-Game Challenges-Work on your game or take on a friend with Elimination Mode, Battle Golf, One-Ball, and more.
* Improved Sound- Players hear the crowd just like Tiger Woods does on Championship Sunday. Crowds cheer and jeer in surround sound based on your performance.
PLAY: The 07 version isn’t an overhaul of the previous release—and honestly it doesn’t need to be. There isn’t so much wrong with the 06 version that we needed it to be trashed and rebuilt.
The game revolves around you being Joe Nobody trying to become a great golfer. You can practice and compete in a tournament among other things. It can be frustrating to start out without the skills of Tiger Woods—but if you practice and work on the mini-games it doesn’t take long to build up the necessary skill to beat Tiger head-to-head. The gameplay is very similar to the 06 version and we’re glad. If it isn’t broke don’t fix it.
The 07 release features two mini-games. You get to putt putt for the fun of it. The objective is to sink as many putts as possible within an allocated time. After playing it once there’s very little reason to play again. The other mini-game is called Shooting Gallery. In Shooting Gallery you drive the ball at targets which award you with points.
GRAPHICS: The graphics look a lot like the 06 version. The animation is nice—just not nearly as good as the PS2 or Xbox versions. It’s too bad the course graphics weren’t better—especially with putting and working off the greens—because it helps make the game better. When it’s difficult to gauge the terrain and nuances the game is that much more difficult. The golfers look decent and the animation isn’t bad for the PSP. The best feature is create-a-player. It’s not entirely different from the 06 version—but its fun to create a cast of goofy players.
SOUND: Golf doesn’t really rank high on the list for audio. There is very little to listen too—even the announcers are sparingly used and that is the way it’s supposed to be. If you love the sounds of golf—hand claps, birds, water crashing on the beach—then you’ll be satisfied.
FRANKLY: Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07 is golf on a handheld—it’s a great way to eat up a lot of time when you’re away from home. If you have friends nearby you can play together ad-hoc style. If you haven’t bought Tiger Woods for the PSP this is the version to buy.
+ Richie Wright