GAME DESCRIPTION: Get your paws on The Sims™ 2 Pets and create pets for your Sims to train, play with, and love as their own! From scampering puppies to cuddly kittens, add a new furry friend to your Sims’ lives. You’ll have the option to choose from your favorite breeds or customize your very own! With so many features and personalities to choose from, you’re sure to find the perfect pet for your Sims family! As in real life, your Sims pets will require care and training. Teach them your favorite tricks and give them the attention they need. A neglected cat with an urge to scratch might claw up your new couch if you aren’t careful and leaving your dog unattended near a freshly planted flower bed probably isn’t wise. Keep in mind that Sims pets-like their owners-have a mind of their own, so expect the unexpected.
* Sims Have New Friends – Pets! Sims can share their lives with their new pets and add to the already zany Sims experience. From dogs, cats, birds, and more, your Sims share new friends to experience life’s precious moments,
* Create-A-Pet: Choose from dozens of dog and cat breeds or customize features for a one-of-a-kind pet. You can even modify your pet’s body shape by choosing from specific colors and unique markings. Don’t like the way they act? Change their personality – from smart and sweet to silly and sloppy – anyone can create their ideal animal friend in The Sims 2 Pets.
* “Sit, Spike, Sit”: Your Sims can encourage and discipline pets, training them to shake, roll over, play dead, and more. Unruly pets might dig in the yard, claw the sofa, or topple the trash. Thankfully, a little training can go a long way.
* Classic Sims Gameplay: Create and control digital characters over a lifetime, setting their goals in life from popularity and romance, to fortune and family- their stories are in your hands.
* Share unique Pet unlocks: Use special codes to share unlockable pet accessories, fur types or marking with other The Sims 2 Pets players.
Unique to PC*
* Friends for a Lifetime: Your Sims’ pets are members of the family and share all of life’s great moments – whether it’s kids training puppies, teens playing fetch in the park, adults watching TV with their cats, or elders enjoying a sunny day in park with their long-time companion!
* Create a designer breed: Your Sims pets have genetics, allowing you to create the latest designer pet, including popular hybrid breeds like the Labradoodle, Puggle and Schnoodle! Like what you’ve created? Register them to appear in Create-A-Pet as a unique pedigree!
* Bring Home the Bacon: Sims aren’t the only ones with careers anymore! Skilled pets can earn a living from three career tracks – Show Business, Security, and Service – and work their way up through five job levels.
The Sims™ 2 Pets for PC requires The Sims™ 2 or The Sims™ 2 Special DVD Edition for PC to play.
PLAY: You won’t get a new neighborhood or some major upgrade to The Sims 2 itself however EA has offered up a wide array of pets for you to control. You’ve got a few dozen cats and more two dozen dogs. Not only do you get the animals but all the other gear that comes with it. You’re going to feel like you went to sleep and woke up in PetSmart.
You don’t have to walk in and buy a pet—you can play God and make your own as a breeding. This can be interesting because it’s not easy to make your pets do the dirty work. You can go from the perfect Sims version of a poodle or build your very own mutt. If you get tired of messing around with all of that customizing you can head down to the pet store and buy your favorite.
You can teach your pet tricks and even find ways for them to make money. There are also plenty of cool interactions such as discipline and training. If your dog climbs up on the couch you can decide whether to yell at them or just let it be. One problem appears to be the limited range of interactions and actual controls you have over your pets.
GRAPHICS: You will have already owned The Sims 2 if you plan on buying the expansion so you have a good idea of what to expect with the graphics. On the plus side the ability to tweak your pet and change their colors, creat different kinds of animals, and making them very unique helps make The Sims 2: Pets a lot more interesting. You can make a pet that only Dr. Seuss could love and it’ll still look cool.
SOUND: The music isn’t expanded—but the animal noises are interesting. For the most part, the pet sounds are extremely annoying. Sure, they sound accurate but the barking can get extremely irritating after a while.
FRANKLY: The Sims 2: Pets isn’t interesting enough that you will keep going back over and over again to create or buy pets. We tried a few but found we quickly grew bored with the expansion. It’s fun to have a pet around but not when it’s a large German Shepard that is unruly and makes sim life impossible to deal with.
+ Richie Wright