GAME DESCRIPTION: Get ready for all out war with special forces…Become an elite soldier or insurgent in the secret war for control of the modern world’s most strategic locations. Fight intense online battles using the latest weaponry on land, in the air, and at sea.
Battlefield 2 Special Forces™ takes the intensity and quality of Battlefield 2™ behind the scenes of news headlines, showcasing the most elite and deadly forces in the modern military world. Using accurate special forces weapons, gadgets, and vehicles, these covert armies battle to control key military and strategic locations.
In Battlefield 2: Special Forces, players will choose to fight as one of 6 different Special Forces soldiers – Navy SEALs, British SAS, Russian Spetznas, MEC Special Forces, Rebel groups and insurgents. Armed with the latest special forces weaponry, players can take control of any of the game’s 10 new vehicles to engage in major conflicts with up to 64 players. Additionally, persistent character growth allows players to continue to rise through the ranks.
The Battlefield 2 game engine and physics system brings the modern battlefield to life like never before. The material penetration feature measures weapons’ ability to fire through barriers based on their composition and players will need to know the difference between concealment and cover in order to survive.
Team play features allow players to enter the action on the front lines as part of a formal squad, or work behind the scenes in Commander Mode to direct the strategic assaults of their teammates.
* 6 new forces – Navy Seals, British SAS, Russian Spetznas, MEC Special Forces, Rebel groups and Insurgents, each with their own unique arsenal and tactics
* 10 new vehicles, including the Desert Raider, Combat ATV, and Apache Longbow
* Special forces weapons and gadgets including zip line, grappling hook, tear gas, and flash bang grenades
* Dynamic Lighting and Low Light Vision bring stealth and tactics to the battlefield, allowing players to hide in the dark or spot enemies with night vision goggles
* Generalized Triggering System used to control key elements of the environment
* Online multiplayer action with 64 players on the PC
* Join a squad or select Commander Mode with the new night vision filter to assume the strategic role of a battlefield commander directing his forces.
* Character Persistence and Growth. With in-game success, players can attain additional ranks and unlock new awards
* Full in-game community support
* Voice-over IP supported with USB headset
PLAY: Any new content to Battlefield 2 is great! Eight new maps and new troops—our new mates the Brits for one. And then there are the Navy SEALs.
Most of the battles are urban and that makes for a much more intense game. There is fighting indoors and out. One time you approach a palace and another you are outside of a carrier.
There are a lot of new options for arsenal. You have your usual machine guns and then there are tank and surface-to-air weapons. The British SAS has a rifle with a grenade launcher. One really cool item, that isn’t a weapon, is the grappling hook, zipline, and flashbang. With the grappling hook you can ascend to the tops of roofs and bypass Special Forces units that you might want to bypass. It’s an interesting ability to work in a stealth manner. Or just get to an area you might have otherwise been unable to reach.
GRAPHICS: The extension pack looks exactly the same as Battlefield 2–which is what we expected.
SOUND: The accents are fantastic. Yes, we’ve heard someone with an English accent before—it’s rare however to get one in a game that is true and not acted poorly. Russian is spoken—at least that is what it sounds like—perhaps its just gibberish. Either way it sounds cool.
FRANKLY: Battlefield 2 is a great game. To get an expansion pack only increases the value in BF2 and adds a heck of a lot more time to enjoy it in a whole new way.
+ Richie Wright