War Child and Astralwerks Records are pleased to announce the full track list and artist lineup for the new benefit album, Heroes, which will be released on February 24, 2009. A portion of the proceeds from the sale of Heroes will go to support War Child, an award winning charity that provides humanitarian assistance to war-affected children in some of the most devastated regions of the world.
The album’s concept mirrors one of the intrinsic aims of War Child’s efforts in war zones around the world – to place faith in the next generation. We asked some of the biggest legends in music history to select a classic track from their own songwriting canon, and nominate an artist from the next generation to create a modern reworking of that classic song. This album is the result: 16 exclusive and truly inspired cover versions.
The track list in full:
1. Beck (Bob Dylan – “Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat”)
2. The Kooks (The Kinks – “Victoria”)
3. The Hold Steady (Bruce Springsteen – “Atlantic City”)
4. Hot Chip (Joy Division – “Transmission”)
5. Lily Allen feat. Mick Jones (The Clash – “Straight To Hell”)
6. Yeah Yeah Yeahs (The Ramones – “Sheena Is A Punk Rocker”)
7. Franz Ferdinand (Blondie – “Call Me”)
8. Duffy (Paul McCartney – “Live And Let Die”)
9. Estelle (Stevie Wonder – “Superstition”)
10. Rufus Wainwright (Brian Wilson -” Wonderful & Song For Children”)
11. Scissor Sisters (Roxy Music – “Do The Strand”)
12. Peaches (Iggy Pop – “Search And Destroy”)
13. Adam Cohen (Leonard Cohen – “Take This Waltz”)
14. Elbow (U2 – “Running To Stand Still”)
15. The Like (Elvis Costello – “You Belong To Me”)
16. TV On The Radio (David Bowie – “Heroes”)
“I have been supporting War Child since 1995. Their work with children in war zones saves lives and their work with those who take decisions that help them to do something about it saves even more lives. The breadth of talent on this project is amazing; it’s great that so many people gave their time, energy and support to this initiative. I urge everyone to support War Child.” – Sir Paul McCartney
“War Child do exactly what it says on the tin. These kids shouldn’t be in such circumstances in the first place, but they are, so thank god someone’s doing something about it.” – Guy Garvey, Elbow
“On television we are constantly bombarded by all these horrific images. It’s important to realize that they are real people, real children, and that they need real help and real love.” – Rufus Wainwright
The album is dedicated to the support of the real heroes – children who live with the brutal effects of war.